Markes opens office in Germany | NEW technical publications |
Mass spec product preview at RAFA 2013 | Ministerial visit to Markes
|Markes opens office in Germany |
Markes International GmbH, in Neu-Isenburg, Frankfurt, was officially opened with a seminar and workshop on 23 October.
The presentations highlighted exciting new technical developments in thermal desorption and GC/GCxGC with TOF MS, and keynote speakers discussed the application of Markes' technologies in trace organic analysis – examples ranging from food packaging to consumer products.
Markes was extremely fortunate in having four highly-respected speakers at the seminar:
- Maurus Biedermann (Kantonales Labor Zürich)
- Christine Däumling (Umweltbundesamt Berlin)
- Dr. Peter Boeker (Universität Bonn)
- Dr. Erik Uhde (Fraunhofer-Institut für Holzforschung (WKI), Braunschweig).
During their visit to the facility, guests had the opportunity to meet Markes International GmbH technical staff, and gain some hands-on experience with the latest equipment.
If you missed the event and would like to view any of the keynote speaker presentations, then please click here.
|NEW technical publications |
Since our last newsletter, several interesting and useful articles have been published (click on the titles to take you to the relevant pages). These include:
- Application note TDTS 106 – Continuous on-line monitoring of hazardous air pollutants by TD–GC–FID.
- Application note TDTS 107 – A simple sampling technique for the analysis of VOCs released from packaged meat.
- Near real time detection of hazardous airborne substances, J. Leppert et al., Talanta, 2012, 101: 440–446.
- Analyzing volatile organic chemicals in food: Emerging trends and recent examples, D. Barden, American Laboratory, February 2013.
- Rapid emissions profiling of paints and coated surfaces, C. Widdowson, Paint & Coatings Industry, March 2013, pp. 24–30.
- Important Instrumentation and Methods for the Detection of Chemicals in the Field, Edited by Philip A. Smith and Gregory W. Cook, American Industrial Hygiene Association. There is a chapter dedicated to thermal desorption written by Markes' founder and managing director, E. Woolfenden.
- Enhancing sensitivity for the GC–TOF-MS detection of strawberry volatiles, P. Morris and D. Barden, The Column, May 2013.
- Continuous On-line Monitoring of Hazardous Air Pollutants by Thermal Desorption GC–FID, N. Watson, H. Martin, D. Barden, The Column, August 2013.
|Mass spec product preview at RAFA 2013 |
We were delighted to be able to preview our new TOF MS technology – variable-energy electron ionisation without loss of sensitivty – at the recent 6th International Symposium on Recent Advances in Food Analysis (RAFA 2013) in Prague.
Markes presented three posters (available to download here) at the conference, which detailed research carried out into odour and aroma profiling using thermal desorption and time-of-flight mass spectrometry with variable-energy electron ionisation – powerful tools for both one- and two-dimensional GC.
If you would like to be the first to hear about our new variable-energy ionisation technology, due to launch at the HTC-13 conference in January 2014, then please register your interest here.
|Ministerial visit to Markes |
Welsh Minister for Economy, Science and Transport, Edwina Hart, recently visited our UK technical centre and headquarters near Cardiff.
Managing Directors, Alun Cole and Elizabeth Woolfenden, welcomed Ms Hart on her first visit to the campus, where she was given a comprehensive tour of the campus buildings, and had the opportunity to meet numerous members of staff within the technical centre.
To read more on this story, click here.
| || || || || |
Markes International Ltd
Gwaun Elai Medi-Science Campus
Llantrisant | CF72 8XL | UK
Tel: + 44 (0)1443 230935
Fax: + 44 (0)1443 231531
Markes International GmbH
D-63263 Neu-Isenburg | Frankfurt
Tel: +49 (0)6102 8825569
Markes International, Inc.
11126-D Kenwood Road | Cincinnati
Ohio 45242 | USA
Tel: 866-483-5684 (toll-free)